This was in the local paper this morning. After reading this, I felt very disappointed in the school's decision. Give me your take on this situation.
Father requests review of school's lunch charge policy
By Lori Kersey
Georgetown News-Graphic
4/23/09
Published: Thursday, April 23, 2009 6:15 AM EDT
Greg Plunkett thought he had the bases covered.
His daughter, a fourth-grade student at Western Elementary, needed lunch money as her account at school was overdrawn.
Pressed for time, Plunkett said he handed his daughter $2 to cover that day's meal with the intention to write a check and bring the account up to date the next day.
Instead, a cafeteria worker took the child's $2 to apply to the overdrawn account, tossed the lunch she had gathered into the trash and gave her a complementary cheese sandwich and milk.
Friday, April 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







6 comments:
You have got to be kidding me? Government schools at their finest! ARG!!!!
I worked (MY LAST!!!) lunch shift of the year yeterday and I have to say, those lunch ladies sure do mean well, just trying to do their job and obey the rules they are asked to follow, but this seems a little extreme. I'm sure that girl walked away feeling dejected and embarassed and it is too bad that the lunch worker couldn't see that punishing the child that way was not going to solve the problem. Sad.
I found you!! I didn't win the cricut. So sad.... thanks for all your help! Your blog is great! I love how much you post. You are on top of things!!!
At Katherine's school you rack up $10 or more owed and you get PB&J. They kept charging me for lunches when Katherine won't get in line to purchase one, she takes her lunch. I finally refused to keep paying the bill and they cleared the past due amount and haven't charged me since. I think it's a shame, but I do know there are kids at Katherine's school who abuse the lunch system and rack up huge bills and never pay.
A little sad. I feel bad for the little girl.
They would've heard an earful from me, as I know any of my little ones would've come home sobbing about things, and I know that at least two of my munchkins would've refused to eat the substitute lunch.
Then again, I've never been "in the hole" for school lunch.
What a waste of perfectly good food.
Post a Comment